There are several factors affecting academic performance. One of them is getting enough sleep. Study after study has revealed that kids with enough sleeping hours tend to do better at school. There are a lot of reasons why their academic performance is affected by how much time they spend for sleeping. Here is a list of the reasons why sleep in important in improving school performance.
- Not having enough sleep at night will make one feel sleepy during the day. When you are sleepy, you can’t focus on the lesson. You can’t join the discussion. It is as if you are totally lost. This is why it is important to spend enough time sleeping.
- Studies have shown that those who have sleep disorders usually receive lowers grades in math, reading and writing compared to those who don’t suffer from such problems. They also suffer from other learning disorders because they have a hard time concentrating on the lesson.
- Those who suffer from sleep disorder also suffer from other health issues. They might experience stomach problems, recurring headache, migraine and body pains. They also feel restless. As a result, they end up being absent more often. This will ultimately affect their performance in school.
- These students make up for their lack of sleep at night during the day. They are not energized to go to school and study. They either end up being late or just go absent for the entire day. Eventually, this becomes a habit. There will even come a point when they will stop caring about their grades and the knowledge gained. They are not as motivated as those who have not experienced being absent due to lack of sleep.
How to solve your problem
If you suffer from sleeping disorder, perhaps you have to do something about it now before it’s too late. There are a few things that you can do to put an end to it.
- Go to bed early. You have to train yourself to hit the bed early. It might be difficult at first. It is also a constant battle. Eventually, you will realize that it is not that difficult. Once your body is accustomed to it, it becomes a habit.
- Stick with a time schedule. You need to determine what the best time to sleep is and maintain an 8-hour sleep at the minimum. Whether you are on a trip or you have to finish something, you have to make sure that you don’t go beyond your scheduled time to sleep.
- Find the best mattress. One of the reasons why you can’t sleep well is because you don’t have the right mattress. It is important that you check your current bed and find a more comfortable one. You can check out ChooseMattress for more information on how to find the perfect bed that will give you a good night sleep.
You have to take sleeping disorder seriously. Whether you are suffering from it or your kids, academic performance will most likely be affected. Therefore, you have to act at the earliest signs.